Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Types of Care
Each type of care has advantages and disadvantages. Here are a few to consider:
Home Care Advantages
- The patient may feel most comfortable, secure, and loved at home.
- Family caregivers may feel most relaxed and confident at home.
- It’s easier for the family to spend time with their loved one at home.
- The home environment may offer the patient and family flexibility in the daily routine.
- The family doctor or a community palliative care physician may be able to act as the primary doctor.
Home Care Disadvantages
- Facilities may be inadequate for effective home care.
- Emergencies may be hard to handle at home.
- The home may offer little privacy.
- Family members may be afraid to have a dying person at home.
- Family caregivers may struggle or burn out without enough support.
Hospice Care Advantages
- Hospice cares for the patient and family alike.
- Physical, emotional, and spiritual needs are addressed in a holistic approach.
- Family and friends can still be actively involved in caregiving.
- Family and friends get follow-up grief and bereavement support.
- Residential hospice combines a home-like setting with 24-hour professional care.
- Visiting hospice offers home health care and support services at no charge.
Hospice Care Disadvantages
- The patient may have complex needs not suited to hospice care.
- The patient may wish to receive treatment that a hospice may not provide, such as artificial feeding.
Hospital Care Advantages
- Specialized medical care and equipment are immediately available.
- Specialized palliative care may be available.
- The hospital routine offers structure that the patient and family may need.
Hospital Care Disadvantages
- There may be little privacy.
- The family may not be able to actively participate in caregiving as much care as they’d like.
- The hospital routine may not suit the patient or family’s personal routine.
- The hospital may be seen as imposing or impersonal.
- The hospital may not be easily accessible to the family.
You must login to your Care Journal to bookmark pages.
This page was last updated: May 16th, 2007 at 5:16pm.